Bart Mendel, LEED AP is President of Stonemark Construction Management, a full-service firm with offices in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara. Prior to founding Stonemark in 1997, Bart served as Senior Project Manager for Beacon-Skanska Construction in Boston, President of Ecos Construction in Halifax and President of Pyramid Builders Inc, in Austin.
A dedicated construction professional, Bart has successfully managed major residential and commercial projects throughout the United States and Canada. His diverse portfolio includes upscale residences designed by notable architects, the historic restoration of Santa Barbara’s Reagan Ranch Center museum, 50+sacred spaces and nonprofit facilities and 7200+ multi-family residences.
Known as the “Zen Master of the bottom line”, Bart manages complex, multi-layered construction projects with precision, knowledge, harmony and patience—a virtue he practices daily. A long-time Buddhist practitioner, he brings a centered approach to every project, adding calm even during challenging chaos.
Bart is an accomplished speaker and writer. His lectures include Building Makeovers, Construction Management for Estate Projects, Limiting Liability During Construction and Preventing Construction Defects for the American Institute of Architects and Sacred Architecture for the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art, where he has served as a Board Member.
A LEED Accredited Professional, Bart is a licensed General Contractor, an ICC Building Inspector and a leading expert in risk management, water infiltration and building science.
Bart is also a founder and Chief Meditation Officer of Mindworks Inc, a 501c3 nonprofit, whose mission is to foster greater happiness and well-being through meditation. Launched in 2017, Mindworks strives to make meditation a relevant and accessible solution to today’s challenges via its free mobile app, downloadable at www.mindworks.org and the app stores.
Bart grew up in Dallas and attended the University of Texas. He and his wife, Suzan Garner have two sons and reside in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.
Select Lectures & Presentations
- From Ordinary to Extraordinary, WestEdge Design Fair
- Construction Project Management: Tools for Managing the Process, LA Bar Association
- The “A” Team – Successful Partnering on Luxury Estate Projects, PDC’s WestWeek
- The Pros Know – Constructing the Best Team for Your Project, John Aaroe Group
- Sacred Architecture, Institute of Classical Architecture & Art
- Preventing Construction Defects, American Institute of Architects
- Limiting Liability During Construction, American Institute of Architects
- The Bottom Line: How to Build a Cool Project, WestEdge Design Fair
- Building Design and Mold, American Institute of Architects
- Construction Management for Estate Projects, Domestic Estate Managers Association
- Limiting Risk During Construction, Business Management & Law Firms
- Contract & Insurance Issues, Business Management & Law Firms
- Construction Management Essentials for Property Managers
- Life Expectancy of Building Systems, Community Associations Institute
- Legal Ramifications of Deferred Maintenance, Community Associations Institute
Estate Owner, Spring Island